Students and parents needing more detailed information regarding Works of Mercy
should access the Student Handbook.
The Rationale For The Works Of Mercy Program:
Our motto, Domini Sumus – “We are the Lord’s” (Rom 14:8) is an important reminder that we are called to be Christ to others, to be witnesses of the Gospel, and to serve those who are most in need by our actions and words. We bring God’s love and compassion to those who are most in need when we reach out and perform Works of Mercy. We also serve the common good by performing service for the greater community.
Detailed Information Regarding Works Of Mercy Requirements:
- Students are required to complete a minimum of five projects during each academic school year
- At least 3 projects should be Works of Mercy (details below)
- No more than 2 projects may be “Choice Service Projects” (details below)
- Students are required to track their service projects through the x2VOL website/application.
- Service Projects that are not entered and verified in the x2VOL website/app will not be approved.
- Works of Mercy x2VOL Tracking instructions can be found on the Campus Ministry page of the school’s website.
- Each of the five projects are occasions of service:
- We do not count hours; however, to be considered an “occasion of service” the project must be at least one hour long.
- You may not count working the same project in multiple shifts during one day as multiple service projects–students only receive credit for one project per day.
- For example, attending a SPX Mission Trip would satisfy several “occasions of service” as projects as it is multiple days of service.
- Students must serve the communities beyond their homes.
- ELIGIBLE SERVICE:
- A Work of Mercy is a project performed for those in our world who are most vulnerable and in great need, outside of our own Pius Community. Students must complete at least THREE Works of Mercy projects for 2022-2023. To be considered a Work of Mercy the project must be in one of the categories listed in the table below.
- A Choice Project is an occasion of service that fulfills a need for another outside one’s own family and home without payment or any other kind of reward. Examples of acceptable Choice Projects are listed in the table below.
- INELIGIBLE OPPORTUNITIES: Any activity that would be expected of you or seen as a responsibility of yours by being a member of a family or a part of the SPX community and its organizations (e.g. babysitting, cutting the grass, washing a car, or doing other household chores; also participating in athletics, the arts, or certain clubs at St. Pius X are considered ineligible)
- ELIGIBLE SERVICE:
WORKS OF MERCY
ELIGIBLE SERVICE OPPORTUNITIES
|Feeding the Hungry or Giving Drink to the Thirsty||
|Clothing the Naked or Sheltering the Homeless||
|Visiting the Sick or the Imprisoned||
|Instructing the Ignorant or Converting Sinners||
|Caring for God's Creation||
The lists below are not exhaustive; if students have questions, please contact Ms. Baker in Campus Ministry
|CHOICE PROJECTS||ELIGIBLE SERVICE OPPORTUNITIES||INELIGIBLE OPPORTUNITIES|
|Serving the St. Pius X community in ways that go beyond regular expectations to be a member of the arts, athletics, or certain clubs||
Serving others in ways that are not Works of Mercy
|DUE DATES FOR WORKS OF MERCY|
Students are to document their projects and their reflections on the x2VOL app by the assigned deadlines below:
|Spring Senior Works of Mercy||MONDAY, MARCH 27th, 2023|
|Spring Underclassmen Works of Mercy||WEDNESDAY, APRIL 19th, 2023|
Instructions For Using The X2 Vol Website And App
- Beginning in the 2022-2023 school year, students will track their service projects progress by using the X2 VOL website or app.
- X2 VOL Website
- X2 VOL App (iPhone users; Android users)
- Students will receive further information about the app in their Theology classes during the first weeks of school.
- X2 VOL Instructions:
- Log-in to x2VOL following the instructions sent to your SPX student account.
- Add a Works of Mercy Project through the Dashboard page by clicking the green Add Hours button underneath common tasks OR you can access this same page by clicking Projects & Opportunities drop down Tab and select My Activity Log.
- Next to Personal Projects, click the +Create New Tab to add your own service project. Fill in the project information and make sure to click Apply Hours to Goal to add this project to one of your goals (ex: WOM Service Project Experience 1)
- Enter in contact information for the supervisor of the WOM Service Project. This must be someone who works for the organization or the person who organized the service project.
- When you submit your project, the supervisor will be sent an email/text and will verify that you completed the project.
- Once your project has been verified you will receive an email. Only verified projects will be accepted towards completion of the Works of Mercy requirement. If you have any questions regarding this you can contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Blessed Teresa of Calcutta Service Award
Annually, Campus Ministry awards one student from each grade the Blessed Teresa of Calcutta Service Award. This award is given to the student in each grade that models the virtues of Blessed Teresa of Calcutta by demonstrating an ongoing commitment to service and performing Works of Mercy that far exceed the minimum requirements of the Works of Mercy Service Program.