First summer practice date will be Tuesday, May 28th and the Final practice date will be Tuesday, July 30th. Mandatory practices begin on Monday, August 5th.
To maximize success, runners should attend every practice when they are in town. They should also complete the mileage schedule they received and have all runs logged on their strava account. All runners who complete the log and attend at least 20 practices will receive a summer mileage shirt. Any running camps, including team camp, will count as 6 practices. See Coach McClay for access to the summer mileage schedules.
Tryouts - There will be tryouts and cuts for the team. All first year runners will be allowed a full season. All returning runners must improve their time at the team time trial in August from the previous year to make the team. For every 5 summer practices attended they will be allowed a cushion of :30 on their time. The other way to make the team is to be in the top 20 at the time trial.
Summer Jobs - Some runners have summer jobs and need to get to them before practice will end. If those runners work out some arrangement with Coach McClay AHEAD OF TIME they will be allowed to come to practice and finish their run before 7:30 and meet the team at the beginning of practice before they go to their job.
Mileage - Summer training schedules Runners will be expected to use a GPS device to log their runs on strava.
Strava - Runners will need to create an account on Strava. Go to www.strava.com and create an account. Once you create an account, go to the training tab at the top and click on "training log" and mark your log as public. The go to the explore tab at the top and click on "clubs" and search for the club "SPX Distance Running" and join the club. Once you do this all you need to do to keep up with your runs is bring a gps device that uploads your runs to strava automatically.
Schedule - This will be our practice schedule for most weeks:
- Mondays: 7:30 am at Murphy Candler Park.
- Tuesdays: 7:30 am at St. Pius X, weights after.
- Wednesdays: 7:30 am at Chattahoochee River.
- Thursdays: 7:30 am at St. Pius X, weights after.
- Fridays: run on your own.
- Saturday: 7:30am at the Chattahoochee River.
No practice weeks
- June 30th - July 6th : GHSA dead week, no practices allowed but runners should still be running
- July 7th - 11th: team camp, all runners not at camp should still be running.
Directions to the Chattahoochee river:
- Take I-285W to Exit 22 New Northside Dr. Take a right off the exit ramp and go straight through the light. At the bottom of the hill there will be a birdge. Main parking is the first lot on the right after the bridge. Back up parking will be the lot before the bridge. Also, there is a charge of $3.00 if you are going to park there, or you can get a year round pass for $35. We will meet in the back up parking lot at 7:30.
Directions to Murphy Candler Park:
- Take I-285 west to exit 29 Ashford Dunwoody road. Turn left to head south on Ashford Dunwoody. Drive a couple of miles and then turn left on W. Nancy Creek Drive. Take this rod for about a mile and you'll see a lake on the left. The meeting area is just past the lake with a small parking lot and overflow parking on the right.