First summer practice date will be Tuesday, May 29th and the Final practice date will be Saturday, July 28th. Mandatory practices begin on Monday, July 30th.
To maximize success, runners should attend every practice when they are in town. They should also complete the mileage schedule they received and have all runs logged in their google drive. All runners who complete the log and attend at least 20 practices will receive a summer mileage shirt. Any running camps, including team camp, will count as 6 practices. See Coach McClay for access to the summer mileage schedules.
Tryouts - There will be tryouts and cuts for the team. All first year runners will be allowed a full season. All returning runners must improve their time at the team time trial in August from the previous year to make the team. For every 5 summer practices attended they will be allowed a cushion of :30 on their time.
Summer Jobs - Some runners have summer jobs and need to get to them before practice will end. If those runners work out some arrangement with Coach McClay AHEAD OF TIME they will be allowed to come to practice and finish their run before 7:30 and meet the team at the beginning of practice before they go to their job.
Mileage - All runners should see Coach McClay for a summer mileage schedule and are expected to keep their schedule updated. Their mileage will be checked periodically and if the runner is not keeping up with it in a timely manner, they will not longer be eligible for a summer mileage shirt.
Schedule - This will be our practice schedule for most weeks:
- Mondays: 7:30 am at Murphy Candler Park.
- Tuesdays: 7:30 am at St. Pius X, weights after.
- Wednesdays: 7:30 am at Chattahoochee River.
- Thursdays: 7:30 am at St. Pius X, weights after.
- Fridays: run on your own.
- Saturday: 7:30am at the Chattahoochee River.
No practice weeks
- July 1st - 7th : GHSA dead week, no practices allowed but runners should still be running
- July 15th - 20th: team camp, all runners not at camp should still be running.
Directions to the Chattahoochee river:
- Take I-285W to Exit 22 New Northside Dr. Take a right off the exit ramp and go straight through the light. At the bottom of the hill there will be a birdge. Main parking is the first lot on the right after the bridge. Back up parking will be the lot before the bridge(almost never full). the river gets very busy on saturday mornings, so arrive on time. Also, there is a charge of $3.00 if you are going to park there, or you can get a year round pass for $25. We will meet in the main parking lot at 7:30.
Directions to Murphy Candler Park:
- Take I-285 west to exit 29 Ashford Dunwoody road. Turn left to head south on Ashford Dunwoody. Drive a couple of miles and then turn left on W. Nancy Creek Drive. Take this rod for about a mile and you'll see a lake on the left. The meeting area is just past the lake with a small parking lot and overflow parking on the right.