Millie Lanier Turek, Choral Director
In 2012, Millie Lanier Turek retired after teaching chorus for thirty-two years in middle and high schools in Clayton and Fayette County Public Schools. For the past three years, she served as a music instructor at Whitefield Academy and is now thrilled to join the faculty at St. Pius X Catholic High School as choral director and musical theatre director. Ms. Turek has an undergraduate degree in music education from Florida State University (1980) and a Masters of Music degree from Georgia State University (1987). In 1998, Ms. Turek completed the Level III Kodaly Teacher Certification at Westminster Choir College in Princeton, NJ.
In addition to her work in schools, Ms. Turek has a passion for developing young voices through her work with community children’s choirs. She served for four years as the assistant director and accompanist for the Spivey Hall Children’s Choir, was founder and director of the Fayette Youth Chorale (1998-2008) and the Centre Masterworks Youth Chorale (2012 – 2014). She has studied in post-graduate workshops with leading children’s choir specialists – Henry Leck, Doreen Rao, Erkki Pojhola, and Cheryl Dupont. Ms. Turek is currently accompanist and instructor for the choirs of the Atlanta Young Singers of Callanwolde. In addition to their yearly concerts, she has accompanied AYS in competition at the World Choir Games (2012 – Cincinnati; 2014 – Latvia) and 2016 at the International Choral Kathaumixw in British Columbia, Canada. Ms. Turek was proud to accompany AYS in performances celebrating the 100th birthday of Robert Shaw at ATL Symphony Hall and at the Holocaust Days of Remembrance ceremony at the Georgia state capital.
Turek is a past Georgia state president of the American Choral Directors Association and is an active member of the Georgia Music Educators Association and the Organization of American Kodaly Educators. She has served seven times as accompanist for the Georgia All-State Choruses and has conducted honor choruses and all-state choruses in Alabama, Georgia, and Florida. In 2005, Turek earned the National Board Teacher Certification in Music. Choirs under her direction at Sandy Creek High School, Pointe South Middle School, Adamson Junior High, and the Fayette Youth Chorale have received statewide recognition as outstanding choruses with invitations to perform at the GMEA in-service conference (1985, 1999, 2001, 2004, 2009) and ACDA Southern division convention (1992). Choirs under Ms. Turek’s direction have a history of “superior” performances at the GMEA District Choral Festivals and Heritage Music Festivals in Nashville, Orlando, Washington, DC, and at Carnegie Hall and Lincoln Center in New York City. In 2010, the SCHS Select Mixed Chorus was one of 12 choirs in the nation invited to sing in the first Chanticleer National Youth Choral Festival in San Francisco, CA.
In addition to her work in the choral music field, Ms. Turek has a passion for musical theatre. She has been musical director for over 45 productions for middle, high school, and community theatre companies. She has worked with the Atlanta Children’s Theatre “Camp Stardust” for the past five summers. In 2010, the Sandy Creek High School Chorus and Drama production of “Les Miserable” received 6 nominations for the Shuler Hensley Awards for Excellence in High School Musical Theatre including Best Overall Production, Best Musical Director, and Best Musical Ensemble.
Musical Director credits include:
- High School productions: Oklahoma, South Pacific, The Wiz, Guys and Dolls, Into the Woods, Hello Dolly, Anything Goes, West Side Story, Pippin, Grease, Ragtime, Little Shop of Horrors, Beauty and the Beast, Les Miserables School Edition, Hairspray, Thoroughly Modern Millie
- Middle school productions: You’re a Good Man Charlie Brown, Snoopy, Fiddler on the Roof, Jr., Seussical, Jr., Lion King, Jr
- Producer and director of school-wide talent shows, pageants, and yearly madrigal dinner productions
- Community Theatre productions: Clayton Alliance for Summer Theatre – Clayton County Performing Arts Center; Fayette Community Theatre; Star Program – The Centre for Performing and Visual Arts of Coweta County 1776, Carousel, Annie, Music Man, Annie Warbucks, The Sound of Music, The King and I, Oliver, Guys and Dolls, Into the Woods, Once Upon a Mattress, Do Patent Leather Shoes Really Reflect Up, Titanic
- Atlanta Children’s Theatre – Camp StarDust – summer 2011 - 2016 – Annie Junior, Disney’s Cinderella Kids, The Jungle Book, Seussical, Jr.
Ms. Turek is excited to join the staff of St. Pius X and to continue her career in sharing the joy of making music with young people! She and her daughter, Savannah, a 2013 graduate of Georgia State University, and their dog, Jack, live in the Smyrna area.
Along with directing the Concert Choir, Ms. Turek also serves as Musical Director for the Pius Players.