In 2019-2020, the choral program at St. Pius X will offer three classes – Women’s Vocal Ensemble, Men’s Vocal Ensemble, and Advanced Mixed Ensemble. These ensembles are open to students, grades 9-12, who love to sing and wish to be a part of a dynamic vocal performing group. No audition is required!
Members of the SPX Vocal Ensembles will learn proper vocal techniques, learn to read music and sight-sing, and perform vocal music of all genres and time periods including sacred and secular classical, pop, folk, world music, Broadway, vocal a cappella, and more.
Since 2016, the choirs have been under the direction of Ms. Millie Lanier Turek (see Faculty tab).
THE ST. PIUS X CATHOLIC HIGH SCHOOL CHORUSES
ARE LOOKING FOR STUDENTS WHO:
1) ENJOY MUSIC AND LIKE TO SING!
We present a wide variety of music: pop, classical, jazz, holiday, patriotic, multi-cultural, folk, vocal a cappella, Broadway, sacred, secular, etc.
2) WANT TO BE A PART OF A FIRST-CLASS, HARD-WORKING, MUSICAL ORGANIZATION!
We meet daily as a class and will work on proper vocal technique and music reading skills as well as exciting choral repertoire!
3) WANT TO IMMEDIATELY BECOME INVOLVED IN HIGH SCHOOL ACTIVITIES!
We perform at the Christmas and Spring Concerts, Open House, Morning of the Arts, special school-wide masses for Christmas, Black History Month, Easter, etc.
4) ARE LOOKING FOR AN “ACTIVITY” CLASS WITHOUT DAILY HOMEWORK.
We present two evening concerts per year and participate in GMEA District Large Group Performance Evaluation. We have daily rehearsals during the school day and keep extra rehearsals to a minimum so as to avoid conflict with SPX athletic practices and games.
5) ARE ENTHUSIASTIC AND ARE INTERESTED IN EXCELLING ACADEMICALLY AND ARTISTICALLY!
If this is you,
then here are some answers to questions
you may have:
1) 9th-12th grade women should register for Women’s Vocal Ensemble and men should register for Men’s Vocal Ensemble. No audition is required!
2) YES, YOU CAN PLAY SPORTS, BE A CHEERLEADER, BE ACADEMICALLY GIFTED, BE A MEMBER OF PIUS PLAYERS, etc. AND BE A MEMBER OF THE CHORUS! (Remember, colleges are looking for the well-rounded student!)
3) YOU DO NOT HAVE TO HAVE BEEN IN CHORUS IN MIDDLE SCHOOL. IF YOU LIKE TO SING, NOW IS THE TIME TO START.