- Develop an appreciation for physical activity, which results in improved physical development, improved health, and a long lasting self-concept.
- Develop a proficiency in the area of motor learning as it pertains to everyday life.
- Develop a cognitive understanding of the health-related fitness components of cardiovascular endurance, muscular strength, muscular endurance, flexibility, and body composition.
- Develop a physical understanding of aerobic and anaerobic activities.
- Participate in activities while demonstrating cooperative behavior and sportsmanship while working with and competing with others.
- Create an environment, which is conducive to success for the individual thus creating greater self-esteem.
- Develop an understanding of Catholic beliefs as it pertains to health and physical education.
- Develop an understanding of first aid and safety.
St. Pius X Catholic High School’s health and physical education department believes in physical activity for all participants while maintaining a healthy level of wellness for life, including intellectual, social, emotional, physical, and spiritual health. As Catholics, we strive to instruct the students about the importance of the whole person, which deals with the mind, body, and soul. We aim to create an environment conducive to learning and understanding the Catholic beliefs of St. Pius X and our community. Students should have a holistic teaming environment incorporating health-related fitness, skill related fitness, and wellness for a healthy life-style.
- Uses a variety of basic and advanced movement forms.
- Uses movement concepts and principles in the development of motor skills.
- Understands the benefits and costs associated with participation in physical activity.
- Understands how to monitor and maintain a health-enhancing level of physical fitness.
- Understands the social and personal responsibility associated with participation in physical activity.
- Understands that physical activity provides the opportunity for enjoyment, success for the individual, while also improving self-expression, and social expression.
- Demonstrate a greater understanding of how the Catholic perspective of faith affects human sexuality, substance abuse, and personal and social relationships throughout life.
- Understands how to use and apply basic concepts of first aid and safety.