- ← Back to Athletics
- ← Back to Fall Sports
St. Pius X Golden Lions
2017 Summer Practices
First summer practice date will be Tuesday, May 30th and the Final practice date will be Monday, July 31st. Mandatory practices begin on Tuesday, August 1st.
All returning runners are expected to attend at least 20 of the 40 summer practices. They are also expected to complete the mileage schedule they received and have all runs logged in their google drive. All runners who complete this will receive a summer mileage shirt. Any running camps, including team camp, will count as 5 practices. See Coach McClay for access to the summer mileage schedules.
Tryouts - There will be tryouts and cuts for the team this year. All first year runners will be allowed a full season. All returning runners must improve their time at the team time trial in August from the previous year to make the team. For every 5 practices attended in the summer they will be allowed a cushion of :30 on their time.
Summer Jobs - Some runners have summer jobs and need to get to them before practice will end. If those runners work out some arrangement with Coach McClay AHEAD OF TIME they will be allowed to come to practice and finish their run before 7:30 and meet the team at the beginning of practice before they go to their job.
Mileage - All runners should see Coach McClay for a summer mileage schedule and are expected to keep their schedule updated. Their mileage will be checked once a week on Sunday evening, and they will only receive credit for what is posted at that time.
Schedule - This will be our practice schedule for most weeks:
- Mondays: 7:30 am at Henderson Park
- Tuesdays: 7:30 am at St. Pius X, weights after
- Wednesdays: 7:30 am at Chattahoochee River
- Thursdays: 7:30 am at St. Pius X, weights after.
- Fridays: run on your own.
- Saturday: 7:30am at the Chattahoochee River.
No practice weeks - July 3rd - 7th : GHSA dead week, no practices allowed but runners should still be running
- July 16th - 21st: team camp, all runners not at camp should still be running.
Directions to the Chattahoochee river:
- Take I-285W to Exit 22 New Northside Dr. Take a right off the exit ramp and go straight through the light. At the bottom of the hill there will be a birdge. Main parking is the first lot on the right after the bridge. Back up parking will be the lot before the bridge(almost never full). the river gets very busy on saturday mornings, so arrive on time. Also, there is a charge of $3.00 if you are going to park there, or you can get a year round pass for $25. We will meet in the main parking lot at 7:30.
Directions to Henderson Park:
- Take I-85 to exit 94 or I-285 exit 34 Chamblee Tucker Rd. Head East (away from St. Pius) until road dead ends. Turn right onto Chamblee Tucker rd. Then turn right onto Livsey Rd. (not livsey Dr.). The back entrance to the park is on your left. Go to the back parking lot by the playground. Address - 4000 Henderson Park Road, Tucker, Ga 30084