May 19, 2014
Volume 11, Issue 39
We are pleased to provide you with the St. Pius X weekly e-newsletter, eSPX. The newsletter, which is sent every Monday during the school year, includes information about happenings at St. Pius X.
It is important that you take the time to read through the “IN THIS ISSUE” section at the beginning of each edition carefully. There is a lot of important and helpful information for parents in eSPX, and by looking through the heading topics in the “IN THIS ISSUE” section; you may determine which items are of interest to you.
If you do not wish to receive eSPX, would like to update your e-mail address, or wish to subscribe to eSPX please send an e-mail to Kyle Snipes, or log onto your myspx.org account and update your information. Thank you.
IN THIS ISSUE:
> CALENDAR REMINDERS
> THIS WEEK
> ELECTRONIC DEVICE/CELL PHONE USAGE DURING FINAL EXAMS
> FINAL eSPX OF 2013-14
> NEW INFORMATION
> CAMPUS MINISTRY INFORMATION
> BYOD POLICY CHANGE
> SUMMER ENRICHMENT COURSES REGISTRATION
> CHANGING YOUR E-MAIL ADDRESS OR UNSUBSCRIBING TO eSPX
- Girls' Golf at State Tournament at Waynesboro CC at 7am
- Boys' Golf at State Tournament at Belle Meade GC at 8am
- Foreign Language Final Exam at 8am
- Social Studies Final Exam at 10:15am
- English Final Exam at 8am
- Math Final Exam at 10:15am
- Final Day-Book Return: Dismissal at 12:45pm
- Science Final Exam at 8am
- Theology Final Exam at 10:15am
CHANGE IN AP EXAM SECURITY ELECTRONIC USAGE/CELL PHONE POLICY FOR FINAL EXAMS
Please be aware of specific cell phone/electronics rules during upcoming final exams. These rules pertain to students waiting on campus as well as taking exams.
**The cafeteria monitors will be in the cafeteria for all exam periods, and in between exams. These ladies are instructed to collect any device they see and the minimum standard 3 detention penalty will apply. This includes students waiting for a parent.
Parents and students need to make clear pick up arrangements in advance and then stick to those arrangements. Students who need to call home are welcome to ask to use a teacher/office phone.
Cell Phones/Electronic Devices DURING EXAMS
• Students MAY NOT have any cell phones or any unapproved electronic devices on their person, in their purse, backpack or any other type of baggage. Electronic devices must be turned off and stored in lockers or vehicles during exam hours from 7:55 a.m. until 11:45 a.m.
• Calculators may ONLY be used on mathematics and/or science exams as noted by the teacher. Calculators will not be allowed at any other time and are considered to be an "electronic device" as noted in this explanation.
• Cell phones/electronics must remain turned OFF and in a locker from 7:55 a.m. (first bell) until 11:45 a.m. (last bell). If, at any time, a cell phone or other electronic device is seen or suspected of being on a person it will be confiscated, inspected and held by administration until the 6th/last school exam is COMPLETED at which time a parent may pick up the phone (or electronic device) from the Discipline Office from 11:45 a.m. until 12:30 p.m. After that time, phones will be available for retrieval during teacher post planning days.
This policy is in effect for all students including those students who do not have an exam and must wait on campus or waiting for early pick-up between the hours of 7:55 am and 11:45 a.m. Electronic devices may not be seen or heard between the hours of 7:55 a.m. and 11:45 a.m. This procedure is in keeping with national testing procedures with Educational Testing Service (SATs, ACT’s and AP exams in particular).
It is very important to note that students who are waiting for a ride between 7:55 am and 11:45 am will NOT be able to accept a cell phone call from a parent to notify the student of a parent’s arrival on campus. Please arrange for a specific location pick up in advance. Students who need to reach a parent by telephone are instructed to come to the Dean of Students office to use the phone to call home.
FINAL eSPX OF 2013-14 SCHOOL YEAR
Today's edition of eSPX will be the final edition for the 2013-14 school year. In the event information must be disseminated over the summer, special editions will be delivered to your inbox. The first back-to-school edition of eSPX for 2014-15 will be delivered in late-July.
NEW INFORMATION REMINDERS
CAMPUS MINISTRY INFORMATION
Extraordinary Minister Applications
The Class of 2015 is invited to apply to become Extraordinary Ministers of Holy Communion for the upcoming 14-15 school year. Applications were sent to student email accounts on April 29th. All applications need to be submitted by May 19th. If you have any questions, please contact Ms. Ohrenberger in Campus Ministry.
Works of Mercy for 14-15
Students are welcome to begin working on their Works of Mercy service requirement for the 14-15 school year. Due to the busy schedules of our students, we encourage students to get a head start on their requirement for the upcoming year. If you have any questions, please contact Campus Ministry.
BYOD POLICY UPDATE
We are excited to announce that that we have formalized the Bring Your Own Device (BYOD) program for the 2014-2015 school year. In fact, many classes will now require a device (as designated in the Course Catalog). Every student will be enrolled in at least one class designated as mandatory BYOD; therefore every student must bring a device, which meets the specifications below, to the specified classes each day. All minimum requirements must be met in order for the device to be approved.
As students utilize their technology devices in school, they will continue to learn new ways to use them to access content, collaborate, and interact with faculty and their classmates to research information, solve complex problems, create original products, and publish their work. This will better prepare them for college and career.
Please review the information regarding the BYOD program by clicking here or going to http://goo.gl/xFjSxM. Information is included about purchasing options for acceptable devices. If you have any questions about specifications, please email email@example.com.
SUMMER ENRICHMENT COURSES
In order to help prepare students academically for the 2014-2015 school year, St. Pius X is offering nine academic course opportunities this summer in the subjects of math, foreign language and English Monday, July 21 – Thursday, July 24 (and Tuesday, July 15 – Friday, July 18 for math only). More information about each course and the online registration can be found at http://www.spx.org/SummerEnrichmentCourses
CHANGING YOUR E-MAIL ADDRESS OR UNSUBSCRIBING TO eSPX
If you would like to make a change to your e-mail address or if you wish to unsubscribe, please send your new e-mail address to Kyle Snipes. You may also click the link located at the bottom of this email.