- ← Back to Athletics
- ← Back to Fall Sports
St. Pius X Golden Lions
2016 Summer Practices
Summer practices will begin on Tuesday, May 31st.
All returning runners are expected to attend at least 20 summer practices. They are also expected to complete the mileage schedule they received and have all runs logged in their google drive. All runners who complete this will receive a summer mileage shirt. Any running camps, including team camp, will count as 5 practices. See Coach McClay for access to the summer mileage schedules.
Tryouts - There will be tryouts and cuts for the team this year. All first year runners will be allowed a full season. All returning runners must improve their time at the team time trial in August from the previous year to make the team. For every 5 practices attended in the summer they will be allowed a cushion of :30 on their time.
Summer Jobs - Some runners have summer jobs and need to get to them before practice will end. If those runners work out some arrangement with Coach McClay AHEAD OF TIME they will be allowed to come to practice and finish their run before 7:30 and meet the team at the beginning of practice before they go to their job.
Mileage - All runners should see Coach McClay for a summer mileage schedule and are expected to keep their schedule updated. Their mileage will be checked once a week on Sunday evening, and they will only receive credit for what is posted at that time.
Schedule - This will be our practice schedule for most weeks:
- Mondays: 7:30 am at Murphy Candler Park
- Tuesdays: 7:30 am at St. Pius X, weights after
- Wednesdays: 7:30 am at Henderson Park
- Thursdays: 7:30 am at St. Pius X, weights after.
- Fridays: run on your own.
- Saturday: 7:30am at the Chattahoochee river.
No practice weeks - July 4th - 8th : GHSA dead week, no practices allowed but runners should still be running
- July 17th - 22nd: team camp, all runners not at camp should still be running.
Directions to Murphy Candler Park:
- Take I-285to exit 29 Ashford Dunwoody Rd. Go South(towards Marist, away from perimeter mall). After one mile turn left onto Nancy Creek Drive. Drive half a mile until the lake is on your left, park by the lake.
- Alt. route: To avoid traffic on I-285 take Chamblee tucker rd west until it dead ends at Peachtree industrial blvd. Turn Left on Peachtree industrial. Turn Right onto Johnson Ferry Rd. Keep right until Johnson ferry turns into Ashford Dunwoody rd. Drive past Marist and Turn right onto Nancy Creek Dr. Drive half a mile until the lake is on your left, park by the lake.
Directions to the Chattahoochee river:
- Take I-285W to Exit 22 New Northside Dr. Take a right off the exit ramp and go straight through the light. At the bottom of the hill there will be a birdge. Main parking is the first lot on the right after the bridge. Back up parking will be the lot before the bridge(almost never full). the river gets very busy on saturday mornings, so arrive on time. Also, there is a charge of $3.00 if you are going to park there, or you can get a year round pass for $25. We will meet in the main parking lot at 7:30.
Directions to Henderson Park:
- Take I-85 south to exit 94, Chamblee Tucker Rd. Take a left off the exit ramp and go across 85. Turn right onto Mercer University Dr. Turn right onto Henderson Mill Rd. Turn left onto Henderson rd. The park will be on your left at the top of the hill after about 1 mile.
Directions to Mercer University(no practices here this summer):
- Travelling South: Take exit 94 off I-85, Chamblee-Tucker rd. and turn left at the light. Get in the far right lane and take a right onto Mercer University dr. and immediately take another right onto flowers rd. Drive about one mile until the intramural fields are on your left. Turn left into the parking lot.
- Travelling North: Take exit 94 off I-85, Chamblee-Tucker rd. and turn right at the light. Get in the far right lane and take a right onto Mercer University dr. and immediately take another right onto flowers rd. Drive about one mile until the intramural fields are on your left. Turn left into the parking lot.