- ← Back to Athletics
- ← Back to Fall Sports
St. Pius X Golden Lions
2013 Summer Practices
1st overnight Trip - All returning runners are expected to attend at least 20 summer practices in order to go on the team overnight trip race(currently scheduled for a fast course in North Carolina). This is for the entire team, Varsity and JV. Team Camp will count as 3 practices. They must also run at least 300 miles in the summer and have it recorded on www.running2win.com. See Coach McClay for instructions on how to join our team on running2win.
Summer Jobs - Some runners have summer jobs and need to get to them before practice will end. If those runners work out some arrangement with Coach McClay AHEAD OF TIME they will be allowed to come to practice and finish their run before 7:30 and meet the team at the beginning of practice before they go to their job.
Mileage - All runners should see Coach McClay for a summer mileage schedule. Their mileage will be checked once a week on sunday evening, and they will only receive credit for what is posted at that time. Exceptions can be made for runners travelling on Sundays, but come on, use a smartphone!
Schedule - Our first Summer practice will be Tuesday May 29th at Murphy Candler Park at 7:30am. After that we will follow the schedule below:
- Mondays: 7:30 am at Mercer University weight room at pius at 9:30 after
- Tuesdays: 7:30 am at Murphy Candler Park.
- Wednesdays: 7:30 am at St. Pius weight room at pius at 9:30 after
- Thursdays: Run on your own.
- Fridays: 7:30 am at Murphy Candler Park.
- Saturday: 7:30am at the chattahoochee river
No practice weeks - July 1st -7th: GHSA dead week, no practices allowed but runners should still be running
- July 14th -20th: team camp, all runners not at camp should still be running
Directions to Mercer University:
- Travelling South: Take exit 94 off I-85, Chamblee-Tucker rd. and turn left at the light. Get in the far right lane and take a right onto Mercer University dr. and immediately take another right onto flowers rd. Drive about one mile until the intramural fields are on your left. Turn left into the parking lot.
- Travelling North: Take exit 94 off I-85, Chamblee-Tucker rd. and turn right at the light. Get in the far right lane and take a right onto Mercer University dr. and immediately take another right onto flowers rd. Drive about one mile until the intramural fields are on your left. Turn left into the parking lot.
Directions to Murphy Candler Park:
- Take I-285to exit 29 Ashford Dunwoody Rd. Go South(towards Marist, away from perimeter mall). After one mile turn left onto Nancy Creek Drive. Drive half a mile until the lake is on your left, park by the lake.
- Alt. route: To avoid traffic on I-285 take Chamblee tucker rd west until it dead ends at Peachtree industrial blvd. Turn Left on Peachtree industrial. Turn Right onto Johnson Ferry Rd. Keep right until Johnson ferry turns into Ashford Dunwoody rd. Drive past Marist and Turn right onto Nancy Creek Dr. Drive half a mile until the lake is on your left, park by the lake.
Directions to the chattahoochee river:
- Take I-285W to Exit 22 New Northside Dr. Take a right off the exit ramp and go straight through the light. At the bottom of the hill there will be a birdge. Main parking is the first lot on the right after the bridge. Back up parking will be the lot before the bridge(almost never full). the river gets very busy on saturday mornings, so arrive on time. Also, there is a charge of $3.00 if you are going to park there, or you can get a year round pass for $25. We will meet in the main parking lot at 7:30.